Sunnah Way of Eating
2. To sit on the floor. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5386)
3. To sit in one of the following three postures;
a) In the Tashahhud position (like in Salaat) (Fathul Baari Hadith5399),
b) Same as above with the right knee raised, (Ibid; Takhrijul Ihyaa Hadith1304) and
c) In the squatting posture (Sahih Muslim Hadith5299).
4. To eat with the fingers (thumb, index and middle fingers). (Sahih Muslim Hadith5265 and Majmauz-zawaaid)
5. To take the name of Allah before eating. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5376)
6. To eat with the right hand. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5376)
7. To eat from the closest part of the plate and not from the middle. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith5376)
8. As far as possible, to eat collectively from one plate. (Ibn Kathir Surah24 Aayat61; Sunan ibn Majah Hadith3287)
9. To clean every bit of food left on the plate and to lick the fingers before washing them. (Sahih Muslim Hadith5268)
10. To recite the various Masnoon du'aas after meals. One of them is, 'Alhamdulillaahil ladhiy at'amanaa wa saqaanaa wa ja'alanaa muslimeen'. (Sunan Abi Dawud)
SUNNATS OF DRINKING
1. To sit and drink. (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith6452 and Sahih Muslim Hadith5242, 5247). Zamzam water and left over water in the utensil used for Wudhu are excluded from this.
2. To drink with the right hand. (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith5380; Sahih Muslim Hadith5233)
3. To take 3 sips (or more in odd numbers). (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith5631; Sahih Muslim Hadith5255)
4. To say Bismillah before drinking. (Sahih al-Bukhari and al-Azkaar; Fath al-Baari vol.10 pg.117)
5. To say Alhamdulillah after drinking. (Ibnus-sunni Hadith472; Majmauz-zawaaid vol.5 pg.81; Sunan al-Tirmidhi Hadith1885; Fath al-Bari vol.10 pg.117 Hadith5631)
6. If there are several people who are going to share the drink, it should be given to the one on the right. (Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith5612; Sahih Muslim Hadith5257)
7. The one who is distributing the water (or food) should himself drink after everyone. (Sunan al-Tirmidhi Hadith1894)
8. To recite the following Du’aa after drinking, ‘Alhamdulillaahi llaadhiy at’ama wa saqaa, wa sawwaghahu wa ja’ala lahu makhraja.’ (Abu Dawud Hadith3847). This Du’aa could also be recited after eating. (Ibid)
9. After drinking milk to recite ‘Allaahumma baarik lanaa feehi wa zidnaa minhu’. (Sunan Abi Dawud Hadith3723; Sunan al-Tirmidhi Hadith3455; ibnus-sunni Hadith474).