Manners of Reading the Holy Quran
To the Mu'min-believer, the Holy Qur'an is indeed priceless and incomparable. For him, the words perpetually ringing in his mind - "This is the book (Holy Qur'an) which has no doubt" - injects his soul with inspiration. He is overtaken with the desire to subject his life to the will of Allah Ta'ala by following His commands as elaborated in the Holy Qur'an.
It is always the desire of a Mu'min to recite the Holy Qur'an correctly and in the best manner. In order to fulfil the Haqq (rights) of recitation, the following important points should be observed.
1. The Holy Qur'an must be read for the pleasure of Allah Ta'ala and for His happiness.
2. The Holy Qur'an must be read with proper pronounciation, knowing and employing the basic rules of Tajweed.
3. Recite as often as possible, at every available time.Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, 'Oh reciter of the Qur'an! Don't neglect the Qur'an. Fulfill its rights by reciting it day and night. Recite it with a melodious voice and ponder on its contents (to practice) so that you are successful. Don't attempt to look for any (financial) gains in this world because your (great) reward will be in the hereafter.
4. When reciting the Holy Qur'an, one should create an expression of fear and absolute respect to the greatness of the words of Allah Ta'ala, as if to say that the reciter is in the presence of his Creator.
5. Tears should flow from one's eyes while the heart takes effect from the words of Allah, as Allah says, 'The believers are those whose hearts tremor when the name of Allah is mentioned and whose Imaan increases when the Qur'an is recited. (S8 V2) In a narration of Hadhrat Umar (Radhiallahu Anhu), he reported that it was asked to Rasulullah 'Who is the best reciter in regard to (the reciter's) voice? He replied, 'The person whose recitation is such that you can determine that the reciter has the fear of Allah in him'. (Tabrani)
6. One should at all times show respect to the Holy Qur'an and never dishonour it. It is reported from Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, 'The Holy Qur'an is better than everything (of this world in status). So whoever honours it has honoured Allah Ta'ala and whoever dishonours it has (in reciting) dishonoured the rights of Allah Ta'ala (Riaaya)
7. Always fulfill the etiquettes of the recitation of the Holy Qur'an with a genuine awareness of the fact that these are the words of Allah Ta'ala, thus giving its recitation due awe and majesty.
8. Ensure that you are in a state of wudhu whilst holding the Holy Qur'an.
9. Whilst reading realise that Allah Ta'ala is listening to you and you are in fact a lover who is humbly addressing his beloved.
10. Regular reading of the virtues of the Holy Qur'an by Hadhrat Moulana Zakariyya (Rahmatullah Alaihi) will surely engender within one some idea of the sanctity of the Holy Qur'an.