Cell Phones in the Masjid
"Successful indeed are the believers who offer their Salaah with concentration" (Al-Mu'minun 1-2)
* One should ensure that one switches one's cell phone off before entering the house of Allah Ta'ala.
* It is a mark of great disrespect that a Mu'min (believer) presents himself in the house of Allah Ta'ala with the sole intention of devoting himself to ibaadah (worship) of the Sovereign of both the worlds,
* Allah Ta'ala and yet he wishes to remain connected with the creation by not switching his cell phone off or by keeping it in the "silent" or "meeting" mode. How unfortunate!!
* Remember that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "The Musalli (person performing salaah) is in private dialogue with Allah Ta'ala." What a great occasion for a person! Does it not demand from him to completely sever all other attachments and connections and be exclusively connected to his Master, Benefactor and Creator, Allah Ta'ala?
By not switching one's cell phone off in the Masjid the following harms occur:
* Disturbance in the Masjid, which is not permitted.
* Many a time, due to having musical ring tones, which are totally forbidden, music is played and
* heard in the Masjid whilst in salaah.
* It affects the concentration of the perpetrator himself as well as that of all others in the Masjid.
If the Cell Phone rings in Salaah…
* Switch off immediately with a single movement of one hand. In this case the salaah will not break.
* If this is not possible, then use both hands to switch it off. However due to this excessive activity, which is contrary to salaah, the salaah will break. One needs to restart one's salaah. This law applies to the person performing salaah individually as well as the person performing salaah behind the Imaam.
* Do not allow it to carry on ringing as this affects the concentration of the Musallis.
* If a person was careless in this regard and allowed his phone to ring, he should be advised in a soft and polite tone. His mistake should not allow others to raise their voices in the Masjid and thereby violate the sanctity of the Masjid.
Musical Ring tones Are Prohibited In The Masjid
Allah Ta'ala has mentioned the prohibition of all forms of music in the Qur'an.
"And there are, among men, he who purchases idle talk (music etc.), without knowledge, to mislead (men) from the path of Allah and makes a mockery of Allah's path. For such there will be a humiliating torment."
(Surah Luqman, Aayat 6)
The commentators of the Qur'an are unanimous that "idle talk" in this verse refers to music and the like thereof.
Abdullah bin Ma'sood (radiyallahu anhu) when asked concerning the meaning of this verse, responded in the following words: "The implication thereof, by the Qasm (oath) of Allah, is that of music.
Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: I have been sent to destroy musical instruments. (Naylul Autaar)
Abdullah bin Ma'sood (radhiallahu anhu) says: " Music sows hypocrisy heart just as water nourishes the fields." (Zammul Malaahi)
Therefore O Muslim! Change your ring tone and acquire the pleasure of your Creator.